Sunday, October 7, 2007

YIN and YANG

Most people are familiar with the symbol but many do not understand the concept. The “Unity of Opposites” is a Chinese philosophical concept that recognizes a world filled with contrasts. Good is contrasted by evil. Wet is the opposite of dry. Slow is relative to fast. Each of these conditions or objects needs the other to define itself. The concept of hard means little unless you compare it to soft. Often these opposites combined to form something even more special. If you take a dark velvet night and combine it with a bright silvery moon it becomes a night to remember.

Many of us believe there is someone special in this world who is our other half; someone who is the Yin to our Yang. I have searched all of my life for the other half of my heart. I had finally given up the hunt and resigned myself to living out my remaining years in solitude. I was here in “the land of beautiful women” a year before I even thought about dating anyone. I had made peace with my lonely fate.

Suddenly there was Cora. Interestingly, I was attracted by her inner beauty long before I even noticed her outer beauty. She routinely sublimated her Pinoy pride in an open quest for self improvement. Her determination, dedication coupled with an unusually high intellect was inspiring. She showed an uncommon empathy and compassion. Her quick wit and sense of humor made her a stimulating companion.

Shakespeare once wrote, “The course of true love never did run smooth” and that was certainly true of Cora and I. Our love has had a long and rough trip. She even admits, when we first met, she did not love me; in fact she was a little afraid of me. But I had a simple plan. I would keep her in my life long enough for her to forget the “wrinkled old man” and fall in love with my “young heart”.

Love is not a word; love is a lifestyle. Saying “I love you” is easy but living that love is difficult. Everything she did told me she did not love me. Several times over the past three years we came terribly close to separating. Finally about eight months ago things began to slowly change. I could see and feel her love growing. We were becoming a true couple, a “team”. Finally I asked her to be my wife.

Last Wednesday we pledged our love and were married. I traveled halfway around the world and finally found the other half of my heart.

No comments: