Monday, May 7, 2007

BEWARE

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS EMAIL ?

Dear Friend, (Impersonal Writer does not know you. Why would he trust you with 25 million dollars?)

Good day to you.(Not a typical “American” greeting. More common in the Philippines)

I am sure This mail will definitely be coming to you as a surprise, but I must crave your indulgence to introduce myself to you.(Stilted and awkward sentence structure. “English” is probably not the writer’s first language?)

I am Lance Corporal Robert Barnes, an american( Not capitalized, a mistake no "American" serviceman would make) soldier, currently serving in the third infantry division in Iraq.(First the 3rd Infantry is Army, there are NO “Lance Corporals” in the Army, finally troops call it the “3 ID”, not an uncapitalized “third infantry division” )

The reason why I am contacting you via this media is because it is anonymous. I can't contact my friends and family back home as they are listed as acquitances (sp) in my military file and to contact them may compromise the confidentiality of this transaction.(Pure fabrication !, Military does not keep those type files on troops BUT they do monitor emails to prevent security violations. No way this email came from a military computer. If it came from a civilian computer the military could NOT monitor it, so he would be free to contact whomever he wished.)

I am currently in Kuwait on duty break.(Not a term used by the military) I and my partner, secretly moved some abandoned cash in a mansion belonging to the former president, Saddam Husein(Wrong spelling; A serviceman would know how to spell his name) and the total cash is $25 Million USD.(First, Why did Saddam have “dollars” his country uses "Dinars": How did two people move a bundle of cash the size of a small car through several military check points without detection? Not possible)

As I write this letter to you, this box is here with me in cash as I secretly moved it out of Iraq to Kuwait. You do not have to be afraid of anything as no one else knows about this and everything is safe.(Bad English; awkward construction) I would be pleased and grateful to you if you could assist us in receiving this box for us on your behalf as I will be heading back soon to camp in Iraq to join my collegues.(Besides being misspelled Americans servicemen do not talk this way)

Of course, I will give you some money for your efforts. Moving the funds out of here is not going to be much of a problem as arrangements are being made towards that.(Improper English AND it is impossible to smuggle a huge box of money the size of a small car out of Iraq or Kuwait undetected…the military monitor and inspect all shipments for contraband…...smuggling this much money just can not be done)

All I want from you is your trust and assurance that if the box gets to you, you can keep it in a safe place until our arrival. I have to stop here for now. We have limited time now, kindly get back to me immediately.

In God we trust,
Lance Corporal Robert Barnes
(A sloppy attempt to gain access to your personal information so they can steal your identity / money..... There are a wide variety of these scams on the internet....NEVER give out personal information over the internet ......it is just not worth the risk.
Once your identity is stolen there is almost no way to stop the damage. The crooks are often in other countries and beyond the reach of our legal system. )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got that same e-mail..
some of it was the same wording, but the rest was more explanitory.
I didn't know what to do.Thank you for posting this up.